Suggestion for Wrestlers Standing Up
JaoSming Offline

Threads: 11
Suggestion for Wrestlers Standing Up
So in No Mercy (and PWXU) one of my biggest pet peeves is how the wrestler who is standing up is completely invulnerable. At the same time, I was annoyed with the early Smackdown games getting unbalanced by being able to hit anyone at anytime. And, to screw everything, I really like the pacing and "realism"? from WWE 13 with the wrestlers getting up quickly and rarely corpsing in supine or prone positions.

I thought of a way to PWX to appease me Smile

Instead of having a downed wrestler just, well, corpse, or at best twitch a bit on the ground like No Mercy, why not have a long (1 to 10 or 20 second animation) that can be interacted with in certain positions.

For example, early in the match instead of knocking someone down, corpse for a second or two, then pop up, have them get knocked down, then a bit slower get back up. Later in the match, have them fall, wrine in pain or w/e on the ground a bit, but slowly get to their feet.

Here is where PWX can improve on these games though, let the attacker interact with recovering wrestlers. In certain parts of the animation let the attacking wrestler do different moves on the recovering one. So for the example of the long 20 second standing up animation, while the downed guy is still on the ground, let the attacker do ground attacks/grapples. While the downed guy slowly gets on his feet, like halfway up, let the attacker perform the sitting/all fours moves. This will allow PWX to keep the same No Mercy balance and gameplay, despite looking a bit different (better IMO). Then, when the animation is almost over, allow the attacker to hit the recovering wrestler with standing animations and grapples, although with a higher chance of reversals or something to avoid game breaking balance.

I just want to avoid animations or situations where you cannot hit someone, but of course this would require at least a few dozen standing up animations to maintain variety. When I get home (posting from work, wooo!) I can lay this out better with a gif or video to explain it better, if need be.
01-27-2013, 08:37 AM
Find Reply
Undertaker666 Offline

Threads: 2
RE: Suggestion for Wrestlers Standing Up
you have it in the new WWE games, it's the stamina system. plus raw i think had it, it wasn't as much fun as you might think. you could spam someone and prevent him from getting up.
no mercy had it best, the more damage you took the longer you were down letting you set up top rope jumps and so on.
[Image: Sig1.png]
01-27-2013, 08:45 AM
Find Reply
JaoSming Offline

(01-27-2013, 08:45 AM)Undertaker666 Wrote: you have it in the new WWE games, it's the stamina system. plus raw i think had it, it wasn't as much fun as you might think. you could spam someone and prevent him from getting up.
no mercy had it best, the more damage you took the longer you were down letting you set up top rope jumps and so on.
right, and what I mean is instead of having 'this wrestler is down, lay there motionless for days' this would allow them to lay there, move a bit, and sloowly get up. Maintaining the same amount of time being down, but not being completely still, and blending nicely into a standing animation. Think of it as a way of better animating the same situation, without changing the gameplay situations themselves.
Also, I hate the stamina things, that wasn't what I meant.
01-27-2013, 08:49 AM
Find Reply
Undertaker666 Offline

think of the things you'd miss if the guy moves, for example, how would you do a grapple to a guy that's half way up or on his side? it would result in clipping or very long animations that transition between each animation to every slot position.
01-27-2013, 09:08 AM
Find Reply
JaoSming Offline

(01-27-2013, 09:08 AM)Undertaker666 Wrote: think of the things you'd miss if the guy moves, for example, how would you do a grapple to a guy that's half way up or on his side? it would result in clipping or very long animations that transition between each animation to every slot position.

as I said in the post, halfway up can trigger the sitting up/all fours grapples/strikes. Think of it as a way to hide/mask which position the recovering wrestler is in as they are trying to stand up, rather than laying down, sitting up barely moving, or staying on all fours. Again, this isn't meant to overly change the advantage or gameplay, just the look and feel of the game.

Clipping is always going to happen, but iirc Dave was talking about adding the transition system to the animations to make things smoother during the kickstarter. I could be wrong in hearing that, but that would automatically blend these transitions.
01-27-2013, 10:38 AM
Find Reply
Undertaker666 Offline

no mercy had a sitting and all fours positions, but that was the end of certain moves.
01-27-2013, 10:43 AM
Find Reply
JaoSming Offline

(01-27-2013, 10:43 AM)Undertaker666 Wrote: no mercy had a sitting and all fours positions, but that was the end of certain moves.

right, and PWXU has them as well. Again, I just like the idea of not having a defined single animation for those positions. Keep the situational grapples and strikes as if the recovering wrestler is in those positions, but not have them being so still.

I'll do my best to illustrate this tonight.
01-27-2013, 12:38 PM
Find Reply
Night Wolf Offline

Threads: 7
I like this idea and also i agree with you too much time is waisted waiting for a wrestler to get up so you can attack. We need to be able to attack the opponent whether he is on his feet or the mat or in the crowd. One thing that i think that THQ and WWE is missing from their titles(at least the ones that i have played) is the ability to take the fight to the bleachers. If Dave and the gang would impliment this into PWX i think that it would benifit PWX. I am not saying that they should put it into one of the beta releases just saying that it would be nice to have that ability in the final release as well as being able to attack in the locker rooms and parking lot or if they want to really get peoples attention make it so that you can take the fight into town and fight on top of cars that are parked while there are vehicles driving past. If you get into a moving vehicles way you get hit. I know what some of you are going to say. It is too much and i respect you for vocing your opionion but at the same time this is just me throwing a idea out there that would help make the game more fun. Espically for topic on hand.

my future wife(in my dreams)
01-28-2013, 10:25 AM
Find Reply
wakigatame Offline

What does the ability to fight in the bleachers (or in the streets, locker room, etc) have to do with what JaoSming is talking about?
01-28-2013, 11:14 AM
Find Reply
Night Wolf Offline

Threads: 7
It is just what poped into my mind when i was thinking of Wrestlers Standing Up. Pounding on the wrestler while lying in between chairs by doing dive moves on the opponent as they rise from a chair or barracade like a ddt into a fan as they are rising where as if the ability too attack while opponent is getting up is not added all it is you standing there.

01-28-2013, 03:52 PM
Find Reply