Please don't waste time on online multiplayer
GuruofGreatness Offline

Threads: 4
Please don't waste time on online multiplayer
In the newest e-mail:

Quote:After core gameplay, the single most important feature to have in a wrestling game is:

Online multiplayer
Cages and hardcore match types
Create-a-wrestler and edit options
Lots of tag team and battle royale options
Story mode
Something I missed?

Having online multiplayer in this is a TERRIBLE idea. It won't nearly be worth the effort.

Here's why:

1. The big companies rarely get it right. That whole netcode thing. Even with their huge budget and large staff they screw it up on a constant basis. I suspect the quality of the main game would suffer if your much smaller staff and budget were spread thin on this. Also server costs. I saw something about maybe a publishing deal but if you're paying for the servers yourself that'll get real bad real fast.

2. People always find exploits or ways to cheat anyway. If they don't they just up and quit when they're about to lose and waste everyone's time. Add to this being on PC it'll be much easier to do these things. It is for every other game. Even the garbage Yuke's puts out gets hacked within the first week and you get guys with movesets made with finishers in every slot.

3. While talking about being on PC there's a concern about mods here. In Saints Row 2 (maybe 3 and 4 as well, I don't know) you needed to have the same mods as someone else to play together. If I download a Misawa mod and whoever I get matched up with only has the basic wrestlers that came with the game what then? The game breaks and crashes? Same with match types, rings, arenas etc.. It sounds like this will be a mod heavy game and odds are it would break online playing.

I was thinking it'd be nice to have online to share CAWs/stories but you can probably do that here already so it's not really needed.
11-17-2013, 02:08 AM
Find Reply
samyG Offline

Threads: 1
RE: Please don't waste time on online multiplayer
I disagree. While there will always be bugs, glitches, and exploits; having online multiplayer is a great way to truly expand the game. First, you'll have a way to test your skills. Is this not a game based on competition(lets keep it kayfabe y'all Wink)? With such things as a global leader board, we can see who's the top player and strive to beat him or her. Second, having the ability to fight friends and their CAWs and create positive competition through that. This also goes into things like e-feds and the ability to have members of that e-fed actually control their player and duke it out instead of have one guy either import or create each member's characters and record a cpu vs cpu match.

As far as servers go, Wishbone X does not have to provide that. Case in point, I play Arma 3 and my gaming clan has its own server that allows us and others to play games. You can also set things up client side and set it up where you can host a match and have friends or others be able come on and play with you.

As far as mods go, if I'm using a certain type of of costume mod which I have enabled and am playing against someone who does not have that mod running, he will simply not see the clothes I am wearing (basically, all he could be seeing on his side if my character in basic trunks and boots).

Gotta look at it outside the box and away from the traditional aspect of online gaming you see today with games like COD or WWE 2K13/14
(This post was last modified: 11-17-2013, 03:26 AM by samyG.)
11-17-2013, 03:26 AM
Find Reply
GaijinD Offline
Yare yare da ze.

While getting online right certainly won't be easy, the simple fact is that is that it is expected in this day and age. While you or I might understand basic gameplay being the focus and online being left out to focus on that, the average gamer looking past PWX because it doesn't have it is a very real concern. Whereas ten years ago it would have been an added feature that might help sales, today the lack of it could hurt sales. I feel like, commercially, it's in PWX's best interest to plan for online play as soon as possible.
Feel like a treasure game on a rainy day.
11-19-2013, 03:03 AM
Website Find Reply
Lightning Offline

samyG, I have a question. How would global online leaderboards work with individual groups providing their own servers and not PWX? Isn't it usually all tracked by the company's server? Just trying to get a better understanding. Thanks!
11-19-2013, 10:45 PM
Find Reply
samyG Offline

(11-19-2013, 10:45 PM)Lightning Wrote: samyG, I have a question. How would global online leaderboards work with individual groups providing their own servers and not PWX? Isn't it usually all tracked by the company's server? Just trying to get a better understanding. Thanks!

Nope, you're right, there's an inconsistency with that statement. Obviously if the players provided the online environment via a private server or client-side hosting, you wouldn't have some sort of "global leader board".
11-19-2013, 11:39 PM
Find Reply
Lightning Offline

Ah, I thought so, thanks for the answer, bro!

So would it be possible for Dave and crew to provide a template or some simple system for those with a server of their own to keep track of their wins and losses, etc, etc. Like basically a server specific leaderboard? Now, I personally wouldn't play online, but a lot of people like to so I would think that sort of thing would be useful to them. Very useful if you're running an e-fed through the game.
11-20-2013, 01:43 PM
Find Reply
samyG Offline

You could use a service like gametracker.com to register your server on and it can record who has been on your server and who has accumulated the most points/wins.
11-20-2013, 03:51 PM
Find Reply
Lightning Offline

Oh wow that's pretty cool. I had no idea such a thing existed. Like I said I don't play online, but with that sort of thing around and the ability to run a server, I think a decent amount of people would enjoy some online functionality.
11-20-2013, 04:54 PM
Find Reply
PWX_Dave Offline
Founder, Producer, Toilet Scrubber

Threads: 5
I keep getting told by my lead programmer that online multiplayer is within the realm of possibility even for our little crew. We're using all new up to date technology for this PWX reboot. The game engine that ran Uprising is dead, buried, and pissed on. The future looks very bright, but even I have to admit that I'm keen on about a dozen other features before looking to develop online multiplayer. Gotta have a solid game first, eh?
01-05-2014, 04:30 PM
Find Reply